Monday, March 26, 2007

Parker, RVF and internet

On March 22 on Mark Squires BB, Robert Parker writes about his 2005-2006 tastings and seems to have particularly liked the Fronsac and Castillon. Parker helps at the same time make our appellations more popular. I can’t wait to see his comments which, once more, will help promote some wines more or less known to professionals and consumers.

The title of the front cover of April’s issue of the Revue du Vin de France reads: “Bordeaux: Are Garage wines dead?”. It is nice to place this subject in Bordeaux, but this title is now used worldwide, not just for Bordeaux. 6 pages dedicated to a study made by Olivier Poels, more than 15 years after the beginning of this story – or little story for those who couldn’t care less.

Well, in this article, well documented I must say and with very few errors, a few comments were made by a few owners who don’t like to be associated to this demeaning title of “Garage Wine”. It is true that in the ear of a French person, this term makes youo think of a garage for common cars. While Audis and other luxury cars would be taken care of in “ateliers”.

I read in this article opinions that, of course, I already heard before, especially when they imply condescending terms, like, no history (no nobility), no terroir (blood right) and marketing (a swearword). It is true that in my case sitting between to stools makes my position somewhat uncomfortable. My father had blue eyes and I make kosher wine. I am Pied-Noir and my team includes Moroccan employees. I hire people above 50 and I even help aristocrats, intelligent people, and some are even rich. God, protect me form being ostracized, help Murielle and I from being jalous of the stories of others, having like many people a bit of memory, knowing where we come from and hesitating on the road to take, as we are lucky to be able to choose our path without knowing were to go.

I always recognize the importance of owners, wines, journalists, people who helped us build Valandraud and our wholesale business.

Why is it difficult for my 2 ex employees, my colleagues, the status they got because of my story? And, while event in the Medoc, a few important people don’t hesitate to say it? In any case, thanks to Jeffrey Davies, Jean-Claude Berrouet and the RVF, who always give “positive” comments on the history of “Garagistes”.

Mainy classified growth have not been listed in this movement, which could also be called “Nouvelle Vague”, or Cult Wines in the USA, or Super Tuscans in Italy.. Without forgetting Spanish and Australian stars.

When will an article on garage wines from around the world? The wheel turns, but to go where? Other than that, it is hard to see that after 15 years, our colleagues, friends still think that gargistes only make concentrated wines, oaky, from ripe grapes, and only give legitimacy after 20 years of existence. And in the same article, one can defend a classified growth declassified, under the pretext that he is good for 7 years, or name a well known wine which uses some of the techniques of the “garagistes” in order to attract the media or clients. And I won’t talk about the terroirists, well known by Michel Bettane.

A bit of provocation though from the RVF, by giving the title “garage wines or micro-cuvees” page 27 and listing 3 wines which repeat that they are not part of this club…

On the site of La Passion du Vin, you can read comments on Clos Badon, Haut Carles, Pomerol and contradictory quality-price ratio. It is always interesting to pay attention to the opinion of passionate consumners.

On the site Degustateurs.com, Maury is featured (La Coume du Roy) and the Domaine Rossignol – Trapet who also seduced me, because of the organic approach of it’s owners and the quality of the wines.

No comments: