Sunday, March 23, 2008

2007 vintage tasting at the Union des Grands Crus

I only tasted wines from the Left Bank I distribute (except for Sauternes) and all the Right Bank.
Lots of good wine in my opinion, with a successful vintage overall in Pomerol and particularly Gazin (which I don’t distribute…yet!), Clinet is very good and La Conseillante is again one of the successes of this vintage with its “nothing too much” characteristic.

The wines from Stéphane Derenoncourt, Right and Left Bank, were fruity, good and digest. Superb Beauséjour Bécot and Troplong Mondot again on top.

Saint Emilion not as homogenous as Pomerol, a few diluted wines, others too hard; I hope that La Dominique will be as well received as the 2006 where my appointment was noticed by my colleagues negociants.

As for the Left Bank, I liked Giscours and Le Tertre, Gruaud Larose and the white and red Graves: Of course Pape Clément and the surprise Fieuzal. I have not experienced this level of quality since Mr Dupuis (this goes to tell the jump in quality).

I didn’t have any pens to write so all of this is from memory. I probably forgot some very good wines that I don’t distribute and 2 or 3 crus I found good.

No comments: