Monday, May 23, 2011

The pleasure of drinking wine (mythical or not)

I recommend reading comments, in French and rather lengthy, on the site La Passion of Wine about a blind tasting event where an Austrian wine won over the mythical Romanee Conti.

Hervé Bizeul’s comments, often excessive (he is refraining himself this time ), defends the part of the dream, and even at some point, stated how difficult it is for a professional to drink wine for pleasure rather than always trying to analyze its qualities and defects.
Sure that I see around me people who taste, and taste ... and never let go, as rodents spinning on a wheel to no end, with no other purpose than to run.

Accepting mythical wines does not mean not being critical or judgmental. As for me, I do not make the mistake of confusing mythical wines with mythical properties. It’s not the same thing.

Mouton Rothschild 1945 is totally different than Mouton Rothschild 1978 for example, and everyone knows that 1945 is the absolute dream. I guess for DRC, it is the same, but with more difficulty due to the strength of the brand instead of the vintage. But, of course, I did not drink enough of DRC to speak about it as a serious connoisseur.
Hence my comments about chateaux which may disappoint, even though they are mythical and the absolute references. But isn’t this also the case with works of artists, musicians, architects and even cooks?

The world is not perfect; it is not a reason not to believe in dreams...

No comments: